Monday, November 10, 2014

Creamy Vegetarian White Chili Recipe

It snowed today - time for some delicious soup!

I searched the web for a vegetarian version of White Chicken Chili, but I couldn’t find anything that didn’t have chicken but was still white with creamy goodness.  The vegetarian recipes I found were pretty much bean soup and not as savory and rich as I wanted because the true white chicken chili is a winter-time comfort food. 

I decided to make my own using a few ideas from the chicken versions and my own imagination.  It turned out amazing so I had to share, I hope you enjoy!

Creamy Vegetarian White Chili Recipe
Yummy!

TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 90 min. MAKES: 8 servings

Ingredients:

  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or your favorite cooking oil)
  • 1 cup chopped carrots
  • 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
  • 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (15-1/2 ounces each) red kidney  beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (11 ounces) “mexicorn” – corn with red and green peppers
  • 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 cup (8 ounces) greek yogurt
  • 1 cup half and half
  • 1 cup soy milk (or your favorite milk)
  • 2 cups grated gouda cheese


Directions:
1.     In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until onions are soft and transparent.

2.     Add the carrots, broth, beans, corn, chilies and seasonings.  Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.

3.     Transfer to crockpot; stir in yogurt, half and half, milk and cheese. Let sit for as long as you want for flavors to blend.  You can also skip the crockpot and cook for 10 more minutes for cheese to melt.

Enoy!

XOXO


3 comments:

Mackensey Stang said...

This snow is crazy! Recipe looks delicious, am going to try it!

Faith said...

This looks delicious!

Leslie Lim said...

I simply want to say I am new to weblog and truly savored you’re website. More than likely I’m want to bookmark your blog . You actually have excellent writings. Thanks a bunch for sharing your web site.

Jin
www.imarksweb.org