Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Ronan turns 1!


Ronan's first birthday pictures photography with words picture


As of his 12 month check up
Weight:  22 lbs 3 oz (64th percentile)
Length: 31.0 inches- (88th percentile)
HC 18.8 in (90th percentile) 

Milestones:  Ronan is growing like a weed and he seems to be learning some new trick everyday. 

He started walking at 10 months and he's getting really good at this walking stuff, watch him walk here at 10.5 months old:


Mood:  Ronan is a total ham!  So he LOVED his birthday party.  He loves to clap, and when he would start clapping after openning a gift, everyone else would clap too.  Ronan thought this was just about the best thing ever:

Happy boy at his first birthday baby clapping excited picture
Happy boy at his first birthday
Loves:  He absolutely loves the dogs, it's the cutest thing ever.  He's not really saying mama or dada consistently, but he always points at Charlie and Sawyer and says his version of "dog."  He also loves giving Sawyer hugs and cuddles.  He comes from a family of animal lovers, so I'm glad to see he is already showing this quality.

Wearing:  He's wearing mostly 12 months and some 18 month and size 4 or 5 shoes.

Sleeping:  One misconception I had before this first year was that once a baby was sleeping through the night, you were in the clear.  SO. NOT. TRUE.  Ronan was sleeping on his own for 10 hours before I went back to work and I thought this sleep thing was a piece of cake.

It's been ups and downs, and I admit that most of it probably had more to do with our strategy and parenting style than anything else.  I have read a million times that you should put your baby to bed when they are sleepy but not asleep and I understand why.  But this doesn't work for me.  Why you ask?  Because holding my sleeping baby after I've been away from him for several hours (while at work) is what I need, and what I think my baby needs.  I craved that closeness and Ronan did too.  After a while, I would need to do something, so I'd pass Ronan off to daddy for more snuggling.

We go through phases of getting Ronan used to sleeping in his own bed, then something like a sickness or teething brings him back to sleeping in our bed.  But we are back to getting him to sleep on his own again, and so far it's going better than I expected.

I wouldn't have expected to be a semi-co-sleeping parent, but seriously, nothing in the world is better than being close to my baby.  But now he's a toddler and it's probably time to make a chance.  But I hope he stays snuggly!

Eating:  Ronan is a good little eater. Some of his favorite foods are black beans (whole or blended), guacamole, cheese and scrambled eggs.

XOXO

3 comments:

Dee Stephens said...

I was just thinking the other day about how you haven't posted in forever!
Happy Birthday Ronan!
I think I'm opposite from you. I love snuggling but I'm super Type A and routine orientated so Shelby is in the bath at 7pm and in her own bed by 715 or 730pm. She has been snoozing throughout the night for 12-hours since 10-weeks with only a few here and there nights of waking up. :)

Mrs. Match said...

Happy Birthday Ronan!! I cannot believe he started walking at 10.5 months. That's craziness! Love love love the picture of him clapping at his birthday. Such a happy boy!

Oh the sleep thing...sigh. Girl, don't even feel bad. Piglet has been sleeping in his own room since he was 8 weeks old, and we still have times where he's up in the middle of the night. Everytime they hit a milestone, teeth, pretty much anything that could throw them out of whack and they're up! I understand wanting the closeness too. That's probably one reason I breastfed for so long. I just loved that special snuggle time at the end of a busy day. Isn't it crazy how fast they grow up? I'm loving each new phase, and it looks like you are too!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Aw, happy birthday to him!