Monday, August 5, 2013

Pregnancy Log - Announcing Baby Ronan

I'm very proud to announce that my little guy is here!


I had him over 2 weeks ago - which is hard to believe on one hand and on the other hand I can't imagine my life without him now.  I've been so wrapped up in being a new mom that I haven't done much else, but I feel like he is growing so fast already I want to spend every second I can with him!

Ronan's Birth Story

July 17th - 3:00 am
It all started early Wednesday morning - July 17th - which was my due date.  At about 3am, Charlie and Sawyer (my furbabies) started doing this reverse sneezing thing that woke me up.  I wasn't feeling good and I couldn't fall back asleep until about 5am.  I got out of bed after 6, and by the time I was out of the shower, Logan was already on his way to work.  I told him I wasn't feeling good and today might be the day, but I was going to try to go to work anyways in case it was a false alarm.

I kept debating whether or not to go in, but I was nervous that I was over thinking it because it was my due date and I was getting anxious to go into labor.  I talked to my mom on my drive in and then when I got to work the contractions got worst.  I tried keeping track of how close they were together, but when they seemed to be only about 3 minutes apart, I again was in denial thinking that it must not really be contractions or they must be more like 20 minutes apart.  Finally, I realized that it seemed like the real thing.  My friend walked me to my car, which is about a 10 minute walk, during which I had 3 more contractions.

July 17th - 10:00 am
I drove myself the half hour back to my house to meet my mom.  On the drive, I distracted myself from the pain by chatting on the phone, again trying to determine if this really was it.  My friend, who is a labor and delivery nurse, confirmed my suspicions.  When I got back to my house, my mom was there waiting for me.  Logan takes the bus to work, so he wasn't able to get home that quickly, but he works right by the hospital, so I thought it would be better for him to meet us there.

I came home and gave the dogs a chewy treat because they could tell something was up and I felt sad saying good bye to them knowing things would be different the next time I saw them.  After packing up my gear and my mom loading up the car, we were on our way and I was definitely in labor.

11:30

July 17th - 12:30 pm
Logan beat us to the hospital and by then I was feeling the pain.  I was only 2cm dialated, but my contractions were between 2.5 and 3 minutes apart and they didn't seem hesitate to admit me.  If they would have told me to come back later I think I would have cried.

I arrived the the delivery room and met the nurse and asked if it was ok if I ate something.  I was really hungry for lunch and I knew once I had the epidural I couldn't eat.  I had brought snacks (trial mix, white cheddar Cheese-Its, Snyder's honey mustard pretzels) but the nurse told me to go ahead and order some food so I ordered a personal pan pizza to go with my snacks.

July 17th - 1:50 pm
By now I was having contractions close to 2 minutes apart and they were lasting about 45 seconds.  I was trying to eat, but I wanted to pace during the contractions - and that's when my water broke.  It really did sound like a water balloon or something popped - I knew before I even felt the water.  After that the contractions felt even stronger and the pain was getting to be too much - I wanted the epidural!  The nurse offered it to me before I asked but it seemed to take a while to get the anesthetist in the room.

July 17th - 2:30 pm
Epidural time!  They went over all the risks and asked if I had any questions and all I said was "How soon can you do it?!?!"  I'm kinda a scaredy cat when it comes to needles, but at that point I didn't mind at all.

After that, I was at 4cm and feeling good from the epidural and about the progress.  I was so excited to see my baby boy!

July 17th - 6:00 pm
I was at 6cm and things seemed to be moving along well.  We had lots of family come an visit and I continued to progress at about one centimeter per hour, right on schedule.  I was feel just fine and dandy from the epidural and thought that I would have my baby on the 17th and that it would be a breeze.

July 17th  - 9:45 pm
I was still feeling good, tried taking a quick nap so I was still comfortable.

July 17th -10:20 pm
I was at 9cm and the doctor said the baby would be born on July 18th, which was disappointing. They started me on pitocin to try to get me to 10.

July 18th - 12:02 am
I was stuck at 9.5cm but my doctor said it was time to start pushing.  Right after he told me, he said he had to go to deliver a different baby at a different hospital, but he thought I would be a while.  Obviously, this wasn't what I wanted to hear, but I started pushing with the nurse.  Sure enough, the other lady had her baby and my doctor was back after about an hour.  I continue to push, and I was pushing REALLY hard, for another few hours.  They had given me pitocin, and I don't know if that is why but the pain was getting really bad and kept getting worst.  They said the pushing would help with pain, which it did but it still hurt A LOT.

July 18th - 3:00 am
I was still pushing and not making progress.  I was in a lot of pain and so exhausted I was falling asleep between contracts.  At this point I was thinking I was going to get a c-section, but I was so ready to be done I wouldn't have put up a fight.  The doctor said he want to talk to me about options but I was in too much pain to focus on what he was saying.  I didn't want to wait, but they ordered me some stronger pain meds and soon I was feeling a lot better.

July 18th - 3:40 am 
The doctor came back to tell me the baby didn't seem to be coming on his own and that my opinions were either forceps delivery or c-section.

I didn't know much about forceps, but my doctor seemed very confident that it would be safe for the baby and me.  We decided to go with the forceps, but we had to wait for a nurse practitioner to finish with a c-section.  By the time that was over, the pain meds had worn off and I had to wait to get some more before they would start.

July 18th - 4:16 am 
Finally time to get started with the delivery!  The pain medicine had kicked in again and I knew I would be meeting my baby very soon!

July 18th - 4:24 am 
Ronan was born!  After hours of pushing, the delivery was so fast and fairly easy, all things considering.  It seemed to go smoothly and it was the most amazing feeling holding my baby boy for the first time.  We both had a tough few hours, but it was all very worth it!

Ronan had a few marks on his face from the forceps, which I felt bad about, but they went away very quickly.  He also had a bad bruise on the back of his head from me pushing.  That really seemed to hurt him the first day, but after that it was better.  I'm happy to say all of his injuries were very minor and went away within a few days.

My little scrapper after a forceps delivery 
I was feeling pretty sore for a while, but I'm feeling much better now. I think I hurt my tailbone, but otherwise, I'm starting to feel like my old self again.

Ronan - 5 days old

XOXO

16 comments:

Mrs. Match said...

So glad he made it here safely and you didn't need a c section. Lucky! Poor little guy. Forceps are crazy! Wyatt had those too but they couldn't get him out with them. Just think how Ronan will brag when he's older about his "war wounds". Hope you're getting some rest mama! The first month is just a blur. Glad you found time to document his birth! You'll appreciate that later when all the details are fussy.

Carolyn said...

OH MAN! :) So glad he made it here, and so close to his due date! HAHA He's absolutely precious!!!

Sarah @ Life, Love & Dinner said...

What a handsome little guy! So glad all ended well, even with a few battle wounds! Hope you are all adjusting well!

Life with J and J said...

He is so cute! Congratulations! You did great!!!

P!nky said...

First, CONGRATS! Welcome to the world lil man!

Glad you are home and feeling better!

xoxo

DeAnna Stephens said...

Oh, WOW! He's gorgeous and glad you went with the name you originally talked about!! CONGRATS! And, I bet you're glad you didn't opt for a sea section!

cnoble1276 said...

Wow!! What a delivery story. I am so happy for you and your family. And he is so precious. I'm 29 weeks and we're getting closer in meeting our little girl. And so is her big sister who turned 2 on 7/17 :) Congrats again!

Faith said...

Wow! You are incredible girlfriend! Glad he is out safe and sound! He is so beautiful! Congrats!

Elle Sees said...

So glad all is well. I love reading birth stories. He's adorable.

Alissa Tarner said...

Hi there!

I just found your blog on pinterest the other day and I was super excited to see you lived in MN! I just moved here about a year and a half ago from Texas! Definietly a change! What part of the state do you live in?

Congratulations on the new little man he is adorable! I'm also expecting my first in November, its also a boy too!

Kristin said...

Oh man girl, you had a tough labor!! So glad he is here and you both are well!! He is so cute, love the name!

Seagull said...

CONGRATS! Our sons were born one day apart and share the same middle name - how cool is that!? Your birth story sounds intense but I am so glad it worked out well and he looks like an angel. Enjoy every minute!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Wow! I'm glad he made it into the world ok! Congrats!

Sarah Alway said...

Congratulations!!! He is absolutely beautiful and I loved reading your birth story. I was delivered with forceps, too, and it didn't cause any permanent harm. :-)

Katie said...

What a beautiful boy!!! Sounds like a rough labor, but I'm glad he made it okay!

Mikelle Jade said...

Congrats Jenny! He is beautiful, and I am so glad you had a smooth delivery forceps and all! I love his name, and welcome to motherhood!