Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Pregnancy Log - 28 weeks pregnant

Before my doctors appointment

After learning I have gestational diabetes
image


I was nervous about testing for gestational diabetes because I really didn't want to have to watch what I ate (more than I already am) or test my blood, but I found out last Friday that I do have it.  Most people do the initial test and then have to do another three hour test, which sounds horrible to me, but my levels were so high that my clinic said it was safe to assume I have it.

I didn't think the glucose drink tasted that bad at first, but it was really hard for me to drink in five minutes and I almost threw up after and felt really sick.  The morning of the test, I had a super sweet donut and then I had quinoa for lunch, however that came with a huge helping of rosemary fries and I ate them all.  I also had a girl scout cookie and a chocolate, and all this about 1.5 hours before my test.  Probably not smart!  Except since I probably do have gestational diabetes, maybe my unhealthy eating day saved me from having to do the three hour test.

I usually eat fairly healthy and Friday was definitely not the norm for me.  Although I do eat bagels sometimes  for breakfast, I usually always eat whole grain carbs and I bring my lunches from home.  I rarely eat fast food and I'm vegetarian.  I have been craving sweets, but I think I keep my portions within reason.  Since I found out about the gestational diabetes, I've barely touched any chocolate or candy.

I have a class to learn more about gestational diabetes tomorrow and how to measure my glucose levels.  I'm really looking forward to having a way to test how I'm doing because I definitely want to be healthy for myself and my baby boy.  I have a strong willpower, but hopefully my levels will be low enough that I can still treat myself once in a while.

Since Friday, I've tried to do my own research online about gestational diabetes, which of course included googling which celebrities had gestational diabetes.  If you are interested, Angelina Jolie, Mariah Carey and Salma Hayek all are reported to have had gestational diabetes while pregnant and I'm guessing more.

Pregnancy Log - 28 weeks pregnant

Total weight gain/loss: about 24lbs

Maternity clothes?  I got some maternity capris and they are sooo comfy!  I was wearing these non-maternity jeans I had with an elastic waist band, but the old-fashion, over-the-belly maternity pants are definitely the way to go once you get a big enough belly.  I can still wear some of my non-maternity clothes, and I’ve gotten a lot of non-maternity clothes that will hopefully work through my pregnancy and after too.

Stretch marks? Nope!  And I’m hopeful that it says that way!

Sleep: Still sleeping pretty well, but it's getting a harder to get comfortable
Prior Lake ice off lake frozen spring ice breaking apart Minnesota picture
The ice breaking apart on Saturday

Best moment this week:  It was a gorgeous weekend, finally feels like spring!  And the ice is off the lake at last!  I think we broke the record

Miss Anything?  Now I miss ice cream and all those other sweets I’ve been craving

Movement:  Lots of movement, and I am starting to see my belly move

Food cravings:  Still sweet stuff, but now I don’t know what to have.  From my online research, I think I can still have apples sometimes, which helps with the sweet cravings, but it's still not the same as candy or chocolate.

Have you started to show yet:  Oh yeah!

Gender prediction:  He’s definitely a boy

Labor Signs: No

Belly Button in or out? In or maybe flat now… mostly flat

Wedding rings on or off?  On

Symptoms:  My ribs still hurt, but I think it’s from sitting because on vacation my ribs felt great.  And they hurt the worst after I sit at work all day.  My doctor said that I'm carrying very high, which is probably why it's effecting my ribs so much, but taking short breaks to walk around helps.

Happy or Moody most of the time:  I'm crankier since I got the bad news about gestational diabetes, but hopefully it will be easy to manage and I'll adjust.

Looking forward to:  I'm looking forward to my diabetes class tomorrow so I can hopefully stop stressing so much.  I'll feel much better if I can control it with diet.




XOXO

13 comments:

Courtney said...

I'm so sorry about the gestational diabetes. My older sister was just diagnosed with it a couple of weekends ago and she's learning the whole process right now too. Here's her blog if you want to ask her any questions about it.

http://livinginhisfaithfulness.blogspot.com/

Life with J and J said...

Awww...sorry about that. BUT you are giving it a positive spin. That's good. You'll be at 40-weeks in no time.
You look great by the way.

Carolyn said...

UGH! That sucks friend! :( I'm sorry!

You look gorgeous though!! :)

Erika @ ~TiptoeButterfly~ said...

sucky news on the diabiets thing!!! - it seems to be common during pregnancy (at least with my friends)

but u are the cutest preggers girl - u were made for this!

Sarah and Stewart said...

Oh no. :-( This is a huge bummer but I know it's nothing you can't handle. My sister had it too. In other news, you look fabulous!

Mrs. Match said...

I'm so sorry you have gestational diabetes. Now are they for sure? I would think with having sweet foods that day, it's likely the test is off? Just curious. But I'm sure they would have retested if they thought that? Anyways, I do know lots of people who have had it, and it's easily controlled with diet. That said, it still sucks having to watch yourself! Hugs!!

YESSSS over the belly pants are the best. But just wait til belly gets so big that even those don't cover it. Ha! Maxi dresses are your best friend after that! And hubby's shorts rolled down at the waist. ;-)

J and A said...

That sucks but you can do it!! You are looking amazing though!!

Katie said...

Sorry to hear about your GD! You do look amazing though. Hopefully he'll drop a little soon so you can get some relief from the rib pain!

Nat said...

Ugh girl that sucks! I'm so sorry to hear about the GD! I've heard from a few people that sometimes carbs can give you more a spike than sugars- I think once you figure out what really affects it you might be able to sneak in a piece of choclate here and there! Dont worry these next 12 weeks will fly by and then you can stuff your face with all the ice cream and cake you want!

Val said...

Sorry about the diabetes news =( 12 more weeks left!!

Kat Aitken said...

Sorry to hear about your gestational diabetes hun. I find out in a few hours if I passed or failed my glucose tolerance test. Can I ask, did you have any symptoms or signs that you had it? x

Olivia said...

On the plus side, congrats on 28 weeks! You look lovely:)
Hugs & Kisses,
Olivia

Anonymous said...

Also the collar is important and should be taken into consideration when you are shopping for sun protection shirts.
It is a must see and experience if you are in the area.
Our six year old was there too and instead of telling daddy Gerrin was climbing on the cabin roof she was helping
him get up there my husband found out.

Here is my blog post; water shoes