Thursday, February 21, 2013

Girl or Boy - Do gender predictors work?

I cannot wait to find out if the baby is a boy or a girl... now I'm 19 weeks and the day is quickly approaching!!!  There are so many old wives tales and methods out there that are fun to try, but they just make me want to know FOR SURE even more!


Chinese Gender Predictor
This ancient way of finding out the baby's sex is supposedly from a tomb and over 700 years old.  I tried understanding how it works, but it seems super complicated. So I tried chart and questions on babycenter.com, momswhothink.com, parents.com and thebump.com all said girl.  
Prediction: GIRL

Mayan Age and Year Legend
This one works by taking the mother's age at conception and the year of conception. If both are even or odd, it's a girl. If one's even and one's odd, it's a boy.
  • Age: 28 - even 
  • Year: 2012- even
Prediction: GIRL

Fetal Heart Rate
This one says if your unborn baby's heart rate is higher, above 140 beats per minute, that means you're carrying a girl. A lower heart rate below 140 bpm means you're having a boy. 
  • At 8 weeks ultrasound - 153 beats per minute
  • At 13 week check up - 140 
Prediction: GIRL or DRAW 

Morning Sickness in 1st Trimester 
If you have bad morning sickness then it's a girl, if you have little to no morning sickness it's a boy. 
(I honestly find this one hard to judge because how bad you feel is somewhat subjective.)  
I had some nausea but never so bad that I threw up.  It mostly was bad at night, and it was difficult to eat.  So it doesn’t some too bad to me.  However, my mom said she only had morning sickness with my brother (but not with me or my sister).
Prediction: BOY or DRAW

Bad skin Theory
This one says that girls steal your beauty and boys enhance your beauty.  My skin acts up on and off and it’s very dry bad, but I have dry skin and the weather doesn’t help.  I have to use a moisture intensive mask as face lotion.  I also have been drink TONS of water, so it’s not like I’m dehydrated.
Prediction: GIRL or DRAW

Dry Hands
If the skin of your hands are dry, it's signs of a boy. If they're nice and soft, it's signs of a girl.  My hands were very dry, but it was the middle of winter in Minnesota.
Am I carrying high, low or too hard to tell?
Prediction: BOY

Are you carrying high or low?
If the woman is carrying high, it's a girl; if she's carrying low, it's a boy.  At 14 weeks, a friend told me she thought I was carrying high, but I wasn't showing much so I think it's a little hard to tell.  I'm thinking it's too early to tell... what do you think?
Prediction: ??? 

Craving sweet or salty
People believe that if you are craving salty foods while pregnant, you’re having a boy but if you crave sweets, fruit, and orange juice, you are having a girl.  One of the only things I feel like I really “craved” was apples, I could eat them 24-7.  But I like putting salt on them (is that weird? Probably…) so maybe that makes it less clear on whether it’s sweet or salty?  And my mom said she craved the same thing when we was pregnant with me. 
Prediction: GIRL or DRAW

Dreams
When I first got pregnant, I had two dreams that the baby was a girl.  One dream I don't remember anymore, and the other I was talking to my sister who was suggesting I should name the baby "Pharmacist" and I said I couldn't because the baby would be a girl - obviously Pharmacist only works for a boy...

More recently, I had a very vivid dream that I had a baby boy, didn't remember the delivery, and that my newborn was about the size of a two year old and looked exactly like my husband.  One weird detail about the dream was that the baby had a name tag with "Amos" on it (not a name we are considering) but that the names were some how switched.  My baby's name tag was written in fancy script by my mom and said "Gwendelyn" (a girl's name and also not one of our names).  When I told my mom, she said that she had been writing out girls names in fancy writing to see how they would look - kinda crazy!

My husband has had two dreams that the baby is a boy, one where he even knew the name.  The name in his dream was one I had never heard of, but now we are considering it.



So what do you think?
  
pollcode.com free polls 



14 comments:

Couture Carrie said...

So exciting!
You look lovely!

xoxox,
CC

Tia said...

You look great!! I think boys steal your beauty, LOL! I was quite the pregnant woman with my daughter. I felt really pretty. This time I feel like someone's ugly step sister, LOL!! You look great so maybe it's a GIRL!

Juliano Dias said...

Nice blog!

Hugs from Brazil!

almostfashioon.blogspot.com.br

Sarah and Stewart said...

It's so funny how everyone has an opinion about the best method to be able to tell if it's a boy or a girl... me, I think going to the doctor is probably best! :-) Can't wait to find out!!

Faith said...

i think you look gorgeous but i am always wrong with my gender guesses, haha.

i cannot wait to find out what you're having ... BUT if i must guess, i'm saying girl!

this just means it's a boy, haha ;)

Married...with a Pup said...

I think a girl! I have been hearing more and more success "stories" with the Chinese calendar so that's why I'm going with baby girl! So exciting!!

Ira Kharchenko said...

Interesting ideas! I wish your child to be healthy above all:)

http://theprintedsea.blogspot.de

Angela said...

Not long until you find out :) I'm so impatient I don't know how people can wait a whole nine months!! Xx

Life with J and J said...

I say girl. But only cause I had a dream I was having a girl and sure enough, she is a girl.

Kristin said...

Guessing girl!!

Heather said...

You are adorable :) And I never knew about any of this - very cool!

XO
Pearls & Paws

lisabttc said...

I love this! I voted girl :-) I can't wait to hear! And you look lovely. I kind of think you are carrying a little bit high :-)

Angela said...

My 4 pregnant girlfriends have just found out they are all having boys even the one with twins, both are boys, your little bundle of joy must be a girl, otherwise boys could be taking over the world!!!!!!!!

Kristin said...

can't wait to hear!