Friday, September 14, 2012

What is oxblood? Can't we call it maroon or burgundy?

Fall is here and so are my giant fall fashion magazines.  So what seems to be one of the hottest trend this fall...?  Oxblood, oxblood, OXBLOOD!
Oxblood What is oxblood fall fashion 2012 maroon burgundy outfit picture photo image
Oxblood - via my polyvore page
What is oxblood?  Maybe I don't hang out in enough dank studies with men who smoke cigars and have patches on their elbows to be familar with this color term.  However, you can picture what color oxblood and that totally gives me the creeps. 

Maybe you can blame it on the fact that I'm a vegetarian and a self diagnosed blood-injection-injury phobic, but couldn't the fashion establishment come up with a more appealing color name? Something without the word "blood" in it, or at least "bloodwine" which at least makes me think of wine vampires would drink...

They could have picked from any of the following:


  • Mahogany
  • Maroon
  • Crimson
  • Garnet
  • Auburn
  • Brick
  • Barn red
  • Cinnabar
  • Claret
  • Puccoon
  • Sangria
My favorite is "Antique Ruby" which sounds 100x more charming to me than oxblood... 

Am I the only one who doesn't like the word oxblood

But all that being said I do like the color... I'll just call it what I want to call it!

XOXO

15 comments:

Jessica said...

Lovely post, your blog is so cute :)

Chic Geeks September Marathon has now begun:
http://chicgeekblogger.blogspot.com/

tara said...

LOL! i have thought the exact same thing. where did the word oxblood even come from?

Marie a la Mode said...

Ha ha ha I agree! When I think of oxblood I automatically picture an animal that was just slaughtered. Not a great visual to have!

Sarah and Stewart said...

Ew, oxblood = terrible name for a color! Absolutely agree!

Bonnie said...

The word "oxblood" scares me. I think I will stick with burgundy or maroon.

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

giaghani said...

hahaha, I'm with you. Though I've been obsessing over this color recently. Crimson would've been a nice alternative. XO

The Fashion Milkshake said...


Great post !

Love your style and see you as such as good inspiration :) !

I'm an instant follower of you now :)

Please feel free to check out my blog if you have the time

P.S Do you want to win a Snake Wrap Earring?! Enter my giveaway!

Love,

Janice
the-fashion-milkshake.blogspot.com

Stylish By Nature said...

I am lusting over this trend :) Kisses

New post up....
❤ StylishByNature.com

Jennifer Fabulous said...

Maybe the color name is so popular right now because of the whole vampire obsession? Like, girls will hop on the trend bandwagon because it reminds them of Twilight? Lol.

Yeah, I think I'll stick with maroon. ;)

Rachel Jensen {Da Paura ♥} said...

haha too funny! I love the word Oxblood. It signifies the deep dark red that the color is! It's pretty fierce. :)

But I do think Antique Ruby sounds nice too!

xo
Rachel

Kristin said...

strange for sure!

Kelly Ann said...

I totally agree, the word oxblood is strange but it does get your attention. I love this post and your blog and I am now following!

xx

http://myfavoritethingskellyann.blogspot.com/

daisymay aka Chantele said...

I adore Oxblood! Have been looking for the perfect pair of oxblood red cowboy boots for 4 years now! I refuse to buy another pair because i feel in love with a pair on ebay 4 years ago, but lost them, so am determined to find another similar pair!
Glad to have found your blog, now following!

Daisy Dayz
Enter my giveaway to win designer shades

Anonymous said...

it actually refers to oxygenated blood :)

Alana said...

So funny and so true! I was having this same conversations with a friend the other day and they ask why the fashion industry calls it oxblood and I had no idea. I for one like wine or cranberry best for this amazing color. Love the clothing picks.