Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Trash or Treasures? Thrift Store Shopping Woes

Since we've been in the process of moving and redecorating a little obsessed with collecting ideas from HGTV, Pinterest, blogs and I've checked out about every home decor book from the library including  The find : the Housing Works book of decorating with thrift shop treasures, flea market objects, and vintage details. 


The find  the Housing Works book of decorating with thrift shop treasures flea market objects and vintage details photo



There is something very satisfying about finding something (and getting a really amazing deal) and making it your own that just picking it out at West Elm. I love checking out thrift shores, flea markets and occasional sales for some amazing find.  But sometimes I'm unsure...

Like these chairs... they were a total steal at $25 TOTAL

Thift store rattan wicker chairs
Mid-Century Rattan Patio Chairs - Thrift Store Treasure?

I've been wanting wicker furniture for the sunroom in my new house, but these weren't exactly what I had in mind.  But they were in good condition and a great price.

I didn't buy then, half because I wasn't sure if they would fit in my tiny car and half because I was unsure.

I think with a little spray paint and cushions they could have been awesome!  I'm sure they are gone by now, but part of me wants to go and check anyways!

I love these chippendale style bamboo chairs, not exactly the same style, but maybe they could have had the same feel with some white spray paint:
  
repainted rattan chairs picture
{via}
This Pottery Barn chair is very similar... and I wouldn't even need to paint it, and at $896 for a pair I'd be getting a 97% discount!
Paddington Rattan Armchair pottery barn photo
 {via}
I found this cool vintage rattan chair newly painted ivory for $1,300 at Ivy and Vine.... now I'm thinking I should go into the vintage chair painting business!

Vintage rattan chair newly painted ivory
{via}
And I really like the mid-century rattan chairs in this living room, they give the room a cool, eclectic vibe:
style rattan chairs boho-chic picture
{via}
So what do you think... am I better off without the chairs, or did I miss out?

XOXO

16 comments:

Erika @ ~TiptoeButterfly~ said...

i'm not into wicker - but that's a pretty darn good deal babes!

Faith said...

don't hate me but i think you missed out ... wicker looks amazing in sunrooms!

and if you had painted it white and then bought some cushions it would have been a brand new, gorgeous chair.

you'll find something even better!

Sarah and Stewart said...

I'm not a huge fan of wicker either but I also think when you find something you like at a good price you should snatch it up!

Cathy said...

Wow, the rattan chairs are amazing!'

http://cstyledesign.blogspot.com

Marie a la Mode said...

Love the wooden chairs you thrifted! I love finding something special while thrifting, it's the best feeling : ).

Frontrow said...

I think you kinda missed out. I have this so many times myself I see something, Kinda like it but don't LOVE it and when I get home I'm like "I really should have bought it"

Great blog: I'm your new follower <3

STAY AWESOME
Lots of love, Pauline
www.xpeachie.blogspot.com

By Word of Mouth Musings said...

Go back!
and also, just followed you all over pinterest like a stalker ;)

Bonnie said...

I have absolutely no patience for thrifting, and that makes me said because I know I could find some good stuff if I would just give it a shot. If your instinct was to leave the chairs, then you did the right thing. Always follow your gut!

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

About Last Weekend said...

Would look gorgeous with any style home - very jealous, what a steal!

Dee Stephens said...

I think they're trendy but if that's what you like, go for it!

Borjana said...

Love this post,honey!;)
xx
B.
http://www.beeswonderland.com/

Fashion Meets Food said...

I have never been a wicker fan, but one of my friends just redid a wicker chair for her sun room and it looks gorgeous. xo

Elle Sees said...

Get the chairs!!

Marie said...

$25 for both? That's a steal but of course, if you weren't sure it means you weren't in love with the chairs. I don't think you missed out.:D

- Marie
allthingsmarie.com

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I think if you can get them you should. It would be easy to paint them and make them look great!

Gerry Bossier said...

“There is something very satisfying about finding something …and making it your own.” – I couldn’t agree more! As the old folks say, “One man’s trash is another ones treasure.” And in your case, a classy wicker chair that would surely look lovely in your space.