Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Osteoblastoma

So almost a year ago I told posted that I had jumper's knee. By the time I posted that, my knee had been really hurting for a long time to the point that I couldn't run, jump or even sleep through the night.  Just going down stairs was a challenge, which was such a pain because I'm otherwise an active, healthy person.

I did the physical therapy pretty consistently, but nothing seemed to help.  I thought I was being wimpy or maybe even a hypochondriac.  I know lots of people who have knee issues, and I thought I was just being a baby.  I finally decided to get an MRI because I wanted to be sure it wasn't something more.  I was hoping it was something concrete because the constant pain with no cure was so frustrating. 

I went back to the doctor's office to review the MRI results, expecting to hear more of the same. 

The MRI revealed a bone tumor... which I definitely wasn't expecting.  They didn’t know exactly what it was, but they said it was about a 10% chance that it was cancerous.  They would have to cut through bone to do a biopsy to figure out what it was and then hopefully they can remove it.   

When I went in for surgery a few weeks later, they told me there was a 50/50 chance they would be able to remove the tumor after the biopsy.  Three hours later, I woke up in a lot of pain but surprisingly clearheaded (apparently I don't really react at all to oxycodone) and I was very happy to learn that they were able to remove the tumor and that is was benign.  I stayed in the hospital one night, but came home the next afternoon.
My knee the night after my surgery


Making friendship bracelets in the hospital to keep me busy
The biospy results found that it was osteoblastoma,which is a rare form of bone tumor.  They don't know why I got one or what causes osteoblastoma. 


The tumor was 2.5 cm and I needed a bone graph after they removed it.  I was in a lot of pain the first week, but I feel like I recovered quickly.  I was supposed to be on crutches for about two months, but felt pretty good after the first month.  Now it hurts a little bit every once in a while, but it feels 100 times better than it did before the surgery.  


A few days after surgery at my friend Ashley's baby shower with jazzed up leopard print crutches

I don't think Charlie and Sawyer minded me being laid up for a while...
There wasn't much information on Osteoblastoma so I wanted to share my story in case anyone else is like me one day and Googles it.  I don't need to do any physical therapy but the doctors did say it will take up to a year to feel totally normal again. I have to contine to go to the doctors for the next two years, to make sure it doesn't reoccur but they say they don't think it will.  Yay! So glad to be on the mend!


XOXO

26 comments:

Katie said...

Oh wow-- I had never heard of this before. But I'm glad that they were able to remove the tumor, and it wasn't anything even more serious!!

Dee Stephens said...

WOW! never heard of it but glad it was cancer! Hope you're feeling well!

Sarah and Stewart said...

Wow that sounds like a scary experience, I'm glad it wasn't too serious!

Marie a la Mode said...

Oh my goodness, Jenny! How scary! I'm so glad they got the tumor out and you're healthy now. I have had tendonitis in my knees since I was 11 (from dancing) so I know how awful that pain can be, of course yours was probably way worse than mine, obviously. I am happy you found out what it was and now it's GONE!

Roxana said...

Oh! I'm so glad, you feel better now!

Alessia Morello said...

I hope now everything is ok! Big Big Kiss!!!

www.theitaliansmoothie.blogspot.com

Bonnie said...

I had never heard of this before, either. What a scary thing to have happen! I am happy to hear that you are doing better, though. I have had plenty of experience in hospitals and not knowing what exactly is going on, but hoping for something good ... It's scary.

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Wow! I don't even think I've ever heard of this. Glad you're doing well and getting back to your normal self.

Kristin said...

So glad you are back and well!!

giaghani said...

Love that leopard cover on your crutches! But most importantly, so glad that you are okay! Those things can be scary so I'm very happy for you that the tumor was benign!

Anonymous said...

My daughter had this on her neck. They didn't know what it was and scheduled physical therapy. She lost the use of her arm and the therapist sent us back to the doctor. After some very delicate surgies she's %100 better. In your photos you seem fairly tall, my daughter is 6'1", and osteoblastomas occur more in young men. I wonder if it's just an anomally that occurs with some peoples growth spurts. Thanks for sharing this. There are not a lot personal stories on this, and it can be a frightening thing.

love jenny xoxo said...

That's scary that she lost the use of her arm!! I'm so glad she's doing better now and back to normal!! I'm 5'6" and I'm 28 so I haven't had any growth spurts lately, but I did grow a lot in middle school, maybe it started then and took a long time to develop? How old was your daughter when she found it?

Thanks for sharing!

Meg {henninglove} said...

wow what a story!! glad to hear you seem to be healing well. i love how you decorated those crutches with the leopard print

Impulsive Addict said...

Wow! Sounds like you made an extra speedy recovery! Good for you! I'm glad you're feeling better. I haven't heard of this before either.

PS. I LOVE your crutches!!

Miss Caitlin S. said...

wow~ how crazy. I'm glad you came out on the other end of this. I had never heard of this particular tumor (not that I'm well-briefed on various tumors) but it's so good of you to put it out there. I think community during crisis is key. what lovely friends you have and I love those leopard crutches!

Birgit said...

Wow! How crazy indeed! Glad to hear you recovered soon and youre better now. Gosh, must have been a huge shock hearing all those things! Wow, well get well very very soon! When things like this happen I always realise that you must enjoy every little thing in life.

XXX Birgit

drollgirl said...

i am SO GLAD you got to the bottom of it! and that you had the surgery! and that you are on your way to feeling MUCH BETTER! THAT IS FABULOUS!!!

i loathe loathe loathe going to the doctor. i just hate it. but sometimes they really do help! and that is awesome!

Alynne Leigh said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better!! ):

Love your leopard crutches, though! ;)

Jennifer Fabulous said...

Jenny!! What a frightening story! I'm so sorry you had to go through this entire ordeal. It sounds completely nerve-wracking. :S

I'm very happy that it was benign and you're not only recovering well from the surgery, but starting to feel much better than before. Yay for happy endings!

And I'm glad you posted about it too. I had a health scare a few weeks ago and there is nothing more comforting than reading a real person's experience with something so daunting and foreign.

About Last Weekend said...

Wow, that is really scary - you have been through so much...and your puppies are so adorable!

Faith said...

That is so scary. I am so happy that it all went well for you! Here's to a fast recovery!

Amakura Reika said...

aww.. Hope you recover soon. You're such a strong girl. Some people are actually scared of having a check up coz they might have a condition that is far worse than they expect. Well at least you detected the tumor early. Take care always dear~

and oh! so fashionable crutches! I didn't know they have ones like that :)

Sashbury said...

Thanks for sharing your story. I recently found out my 6 year old has an osteoblastoma in his temporal bones. It's affected his hearing and made him extremely clumsy. We are scheduled to meet with the neurosurgeon this coming week so I've been researching a lot. Yours is the first story told by some one that its happened to. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this story!! I had an osteoblastoma removed from my femur one month ago. Your story definitely shows me there is light at the end of the tunnel. My tumor was 7 cm so they filled with bone cement and I now have titanium pins and a locking plate to hold it all together. I was starting to feel discouraged that I would be on the crutches forever and the pain would never go away! So glad that I found this entry!!!! :)

Rosanne said...

Hi, I just found this post after lots of online searching about bone tumors. I am a 33 year old female, and I was very recently diagnosed with an osteoblastoma tumor in my thoracic spine area. I had been feeling back pain for a few years, finally found a doctor who decided to do an MRI, and there was this big ol' tumor in my spinal canal! I had to undergo surgery, and a spinal fusion as well. It's been about 6 weeks now, and I am doing so much better than when I first got out of surgery! I am a very active person outside of work so it has been tough to just 'rest' so much as the recovery takes time. But, the pain is gone! Thank you so much for posting your story, and I hope you are doing much better! It is a very scary thing to face, but being brave and having lots of friends and support to help you through the dark spots makes all the difference.

Gloribel said...

I have it in my rt tibia above my ankle. I'm hoping drs can save my foot. I had cement put in one time already but it's growing. It's like 6.5 rt now. Any advice??