Tuesday, November 29, 2011

4th Book Club -- The Help by Kathryn Stockett (no spoilers)



We recently had our fourth book club meeting, with my favorite book club book so far, The Help by Kathryn Stockett.


Ashley selected the book and hosted - and we had a blast, as always :)  We started with a little shopping, then drinks and apps (which were kindly paid for by the older gentleman that happened to be sitting next to us at the bar - so nice!).  After that we went out for delicious wine and Italian food, where we freaked out the waiter by requesting him.  The bartender at the previous restaurant told us to tell ask for his friend to be our server, but he apparently got a little nervous when he was requested by a bunch of girls he didn't know... even after we told him.  Oh well!


We came back to Ashley's and played games and had a few drinks, except Ashley couldn't drink because she's having a baby boy!!!  I'm so excited for her and her hubby, they are going to be amazing parents :)

We also had to take our book club pics for the night, since now it's tradition!  We've been taking goofy pictures today since middle school, so why stop now?


We also found a few minutes to discuss the book, which I didn't think I would like that much, but I ending up loving The Help.  I have no idea why I thought I wouldn't like it, because everyone was talking about how great it was, so from now on I'm going to listen to recommendations!  On that note, another book I kept hearing about was the Hunger Games.  Again, I avoided reading it for a while because I thought I wouldn't like it.  Then, when I first started reading it I thought I really wouldn't like it.  I definitely am not a "Katniss Everdeen" type girl, you can't even talk about hunting around me.  But I LOVED the book!  So I kinda cheated and picked that for my book club book... but only because I really want them to read it.  And I'm still working on the series; I just finished Catching Fire and started Mockingjay.
http://mediaroom.scholastic.com/files/HungergamesCover.jpg
More on our Book Clubs:
Book Club 1
Book Club 2
Book Club 3 

XOXO

23 comments:

Roxana said...

Nice post!
Thank you for the nice comment and for following, I will follow you back. :)

http://letsgotonewyorkandhavefun.blogspot.com/

Dee Stephens said...

I wish I liked to read more :(

Marie a la Mode said...

The Help is my all-time favorite book!

Love & Tangles said...

My hubs bought me the book and I told him to take it back. Probably for the same reasons you didn't want to read it at first. Then I saw the movie and loved it! So, now I have to buy the book again. :-)

rinniez said...

wow that is one fun book club! love the goofy pics. Haven't read the book, i considered picking it up after i saw the movie but i just dont have the motivation to start that one.
:)
xx

giaghani said...

I still need to get on reading this one! But I love that you guys keep up with the Book Club, it's such a perfect excuse for fun girly time bonding!

I think I need to create one of my own...

Hope you had a nice holiday weekend! xo

Mimi said...

aww, that sounds (and looks) like a blast! the help is on my list of books to read, i gotta get on it soon, haha. ;) i also really loved the hunger games, i cannot wait for the movie! :D

<3, Mimi
http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/
$100 Shopbop Gift Card Giveaway

Kristin said...

Fun girls night!

Jamie Van Wie said...

I love the blog Jen! Cute pics! I'm excited to start reading the Hunger games next. See you this weekend!

silvergirl said...

oh you and your friends are adorable
lol @ doing almost everything but discussing the book, sounds like my kind of group
i do love to read though
got the Hunger Games and thought i would read it while recovering from my surg, but ended up sleeping more than reading lol
brett

Date Girl said...

I want to read that book. The movie looks cute so I know the book is probably even better. I'm so envious that you have a bookclub. I've been looking for one for years. All I find are women over 60 and it's just sort of awkward. Plus they never read anything fun. Hunger Games is amazing! You will LOVE Mockingjay. I love that series so much. Can't wait for the movies

Imogen said...

I definitly want to read this because the movie was one of the best I have ever seen. I havee lots of time now I'm on holidays too.

Jennifer Fabulous said...

You girls are adorable!! Lol. I love that some random older man was clearly taken by your charms. ;) That's pretty cute.

And I also laughed when you freaked out that waiter. He should have been flattered that such gorgeous girls were asking for his service! Hehe.

I'm pretty envious of you. I wish I had a book club with friends. Unfortunately, all of my friends are too busy with work or partying to even care about reading books. It's so sad.

I have Hunger Games on my reading list. I can't wait to start it!

Marie said...

You are making me miss reading and my friends! Thanks for the post, glad you enjoyed The Help.:D

***** Marie *****
allthingsmarie.com
International Giveaway: $100 Shopbop Gift Card
US/Canada Giveaway: Mikarose $50 Gift Card

Bonnie said...

Mr. A really wants to read "The Help" and see the movie. I didn't peg him as a fan, but he keeps talking about it.

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

So glad you loved the Hunger Games! It was by far my favorite book of the year to read! I read the series in like a week because I loved it so much. I still need to read the Help before I watch the movie.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

So glad you loved the Hunger Games! It was by far my favorite book of the year to read! I read the series in like a week because I loved it so much. I still need to read the Help before I watch the movie.

Squared said...

Thank you for your sweet comment <3
I'm following you too now!!

Sidney Salim said...

Looks like you had lots of fun!

poseposhpost.blogspot.com
Pose Posh Post

Joellen said...

Love your blog, I'm your newest follower! I hope you'll follow me back and we can keep in touch, I love finding new blogs! xoxo

http://joellenlove.com

Fabrizia said...

Thank you so much for your sweet comment!! Of course I follow you back!
Come back soon to visit my blog, I'll be waiting for you!!

Cosa mi metto???

Punctuation Mark said...

been dying to read this one!!! no time for it... ugh!

LJE said...

Loved The Help too! I'm your newest follower.

http://thelittleblackbookofmylife.blogspot.com/