Monday, May 16, 2011

Water for Elephants - Book Club #2


I was the host for our book club’s second meeting and I selected Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen because I had heard from many people that was an amazing book.

I also had heard that Water for Elephants was being turned into a movie with Reese Witherspoon, who I love, and Robert Pattinson.  When it comes to Twilight, I'm more of a “team Jacob” girl, but I like Edward too.   Either way, I knew I would want to watch this movie.

Like a lot of people, I would rather read the book before seeing the movie.  I thought it would be perfect to read Water for Elephants for book club and then go see the movie when we met for book club.

I enjoyed the book, but I think I liked the movie even better!  I thought Robert Pattinson did an excellent job as Jacob Jankowski.  I pictured his character different when I was reading the book, in the book I thought Jacob was more awkward and not quite as charming as Pattinson's portrayal of Jacob.  And some people will probably hate me, but I thought he was more appealing playing Jacob Jankowski than he is playing Edward Cullen, so I guess I’m “team Jacob” again!

The differences between the book and movie seem to make the movie a little clearer, which I liked.  For example, there was no "Uncle Al" which was a little confusing to me at first, but it really turned August into a more complete bad guy.  The end had some pretty big differences too (which I won't mention because I don't want to give anything way to someone who hasn't read the book or seen the movie), but they didn't really change the overall story, but add an element that I didn't pick up on from the book that I liked.  I won’t go into more detail, so this might not make a lot of sense, but let me know which version of Water for Elephants you liked better, the movie or the book.

Here are a few shots from the book club meeting!



 

Our next books is The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown!


XOXO

21 comments:

Dee Stephens said...

cute pictures! I haven't read the book but can't wait to see the movie!

Jessi said...

I really liked the book, and I still need to go see the movie. I should probably get on that.

I hope you have a great day! :)

Anna Walker said...

Aw I didn't watch the movie but I loved the book! Seriously! :D The ending was so fantastic with the "salad days" that they shared! :)

http://annawalker1992.blogspot.com/

Erika @ ~TiptoeButterfly~ said...

i read the book too - DEF wanna see the movie!

*kiss kiss*
Erika @ ~Tiptoe Butterfly~

Marian said...

I was a HUGE fan of the book!! Haven't seen the movie yet, but I have heard great things about it as well which makes me happy...because I also hate when they make a movie completely different from a book. And I read the Last Symbol and loved that as well.

Marie a la Mode said...

I haven't read the book or seen the movie. I think I'd read the book before I saw the film. Looked like you ladies had a great time! I love the elephant in the room. (ha ha)

Katie said...

I really liked the book and thought it was better than the movie. I agree-- Robert Pattinson was a very different Jacob than I had envisioned, although he did do better with the part than I had anticipated. Looking forward to hearing what you think of the Lost Symbol! I like Dan Brown's books, but I haven't gotten to that one yet.

MJ {The Honeypie Archives} said...

Looks like fun. Will definitely add it to my summer reading list :)

I agree though.. I love Robert Pattison, just not in Twilight!

Faith said...

this makes me want to read the book and watch the movie right now! i have a feeling that when i finally get the book the movie will not be playing ... it seems like a movie i would want to own anyway so it might not be such a big deal, we'll see! :)

your pics make me want to join a book club too!

Bonnie said...

These pictures are so cute. I love reading others' book reviews. I can always use something new to read!

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

Michelle said...

Question - do you really read the books or just drink a lot of wine? Our book club turned sloppy so it was abandoned. :-) Ps- I love your background ;-) and the lost symbol is great. I told my bf to kiss me goodbye because I ignored him until I finished the book.

Mallory In New York said...

Hey! Thanks so much for your comment on my blog!

You've seen the movie already, luckyyy. I still have to wait until exams are over with! :( Anyways, I'm looking forward to it like crazy.

I LOVE Reese, and although I'm not into Twilight whatsoever (I fall asleep everytime I try to watch one!), I happen to think that Robert Pattinson is an incredible actor. (Have you seen 'Remember Me'?)

Great post! :)

http://malloryinnewyork.blogspot.com

natasha {schue love} said...

Ok, you girls are TOO cute! Love your book club and actually really happy to hear that the book is better IYO. I want to see it so bad, but just bought the book and have been debating!

CMae said...

Book hands down was WAY better than the movie even with Reese as the lead star.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I haven't read or seen the movie yet! I want to read the book before seeing the movie, so I need to get on this!

Julie said...

Great pictures! Love your blog! I haven't read it, but hope to read soon)))

Marie said...

Thanks for the overview, I want to watch the movie soon.:D

***** Marie *****
allthingsmarie.com

Kristin said...

That's tough! Both were so good!!! Obviously, the movie can never have as many details as the book but I thought they stayed really true to the story and the cast was fabulous!!!

I just finished The Lost Symbol and really liked it! I'm excited to hear what you think!

Dress Me Dearly said...

The Lost Symbol is SO SO good, you won't be able to put it down!

Val said...

I really want to see the movie but I know that I should read the book first......sigh, your pics are great!

Kristin said...

Y'all are too cute. That movie has been on my must see list!