Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I have Jumpers's Knee or Patella Tendonitis

{Update - It was actually a bone tumor - see the update here}

I have jumper's knee and it totally sucks.  My left knee feels okay some of the time, but aches frequently, sometimes so bad that I feel like I can't stand it.  It wakes me up at night and makes me nervous about doing certain things.  I've had this problem for at least a year a half and it doesn't seem like it's getting better.  

http://data.whicdn.com/images/4845299/7TfPXc7uwnr4qdwviWel1e7ko1_500_large.jpg?1289240582
via we heart it

At first the doctors thought I had patellofemoral pain syndrome, but I'm pretty sure I've had tendonitis all along.  I might have both, but it's really the lower part of my knee that hurts the most (which would be jumper's knee).

It seems to hurt when I'm cold or when I haven't moved in a while, but sometimes it seems like it's totally out of the blue.  

I've heard it's pretty common, and I see people at the gym wearing the "jumper's knee" brace/strap all the time:


http://www.medicalforyou.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/41hFYksdgkL._SS500_-150x150.jpg

I'm trying to research what I can do to feel better. Heat and Tylenol seem to work, but I want to heal and put this jumper's knee behind me already!  I'm going to a physical therapy consultation next week... hopefully that will help.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and did anything help you?

Thanks!!

XOXO

16 comments:

Faith said...

i have no advice to give but i truly hope that you are able to get some information that helps you. Good luck!

Marie a la Mode said...

I was "diagnosed" with patella tendinitis at age 11 from years of dancing. I did physio therapy but it didn't really help much. I actually had to quit jazz and ballet (I still did tap) when I was 16 because all the jumping and impact really hurt. Pilates has helped me immensely as well as seeing a chiropractor who says the pain in my knees was caused by my hips being out of place. When he adjusts my hips the pain in my knees subside. I've seemed to have grown out of it in the past few years if that's possible? I'm able to do Yoga without wincing and I haven't seen a chiropractor in years. Experiment with different treatments to see what works best. Good luck! I hope your knees start to feel better soon.

Bonnie said...

Ugh. I hatehatehate knee problems. Everything you do goes through the knee, so it really hinders activity.

As always, I suggest yoga because of the easy, relaxing movements and the stretching involved. So many people I know practice yoga because of knee and back issues.

I hope this gets better for you!!!! <33

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

Jess - The Domestic Vegan said...

Oh, no! I hope you get some good answers! This sounds like such a pain (literally). Good luck!!

Marie said...

I'm sorry about your knees and I hope they feel better soon.

***** Marie *****
allthingsmarie.com

Maddie said...

Ah that's such a bummer. A good friend of mine had what sounds like similar knee problems. She wore a brace for a year and then it just went away. I have no idea if this is a similar problem but I hope it gets better soon!!

xo
Maddie

Pop Champagne said...

I've never heard of it! hmmm. Sorry can't help! I hope you get better though!

Jennifer Fabulous said...

I'm so sorry! This sounds terrible. I wish I had some advice to offer you...

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

The only thing I know that helps was a heating pad. Also those heat packs. You can find them in the section where those instant ice packs are located.

Lia Waroka Putri said...

Sorry to hear this! I guess you have to find out something like pilates or any other kind of exercise to make it better?
hope you get well soon! :)

Sera Pie said...

Oh my gosh, sorry to hear this! :/

Vale ♥ said...

Get well soon, I am sorry to hear you are in pain ! xoxox ciao from Italy

http://fashionandcookies.blogspot.com/

Renée said...

Oh so sad, I hope you find something to get rid of the pain!

jenna ♥ a little blue said...

awe boo! i don't have anything like that, but i hope you find something that makes it feel better!

hope you are having a great easter weekend!

Sarah Nicole said...

I recently had a knee injury myself. I dislocated my knee and it was terrible. I just started physical therapy and it is helping.

Best of luck to you fellow Rosebud!

Stephanie the PW said...

I hope therapy helps out, girl! I have bursitis in my left arm, and half the time I wonder if I'm having a heart attack! I overuse my left arm all the time, so I basically am asking for it. You would think I would learn...

Hope those knees feel better soon!