Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Cheers to the Long Life of Jack LaLanne!

You've probably already heard about fitness master Jack LaLanne passing away at 96 from respiratory failure due to pneumonia.  He often said, "I can't die, it would ruin my image," but he definitely lived an amazing life and made his mark on the world.

If you don't know much about Jack LaLanne, here are some interesting tidbits about him:
  • He started the first modern health spa 1935; he later sold the clubs to Bally Total Fitness.
  • He is the reason  is called a "star jump" is now referred to as a "Jumping Jack" 
  • He begins each and every day with 50 grams of soy protein
  •  The Jack LaLanne didn't eat chicken, red meat or white sugar. He did eat egg whites and occasionally fish, but otherwise follows a mostly vegan diet
  • He says "Anything that comes from a cow I don't eat."
  • At age 70, he was handcuffed, shackled and fighting strong winds and currents, while he towed 70 rowboats, one with several guests, for 1 mile.   



How amazing does he look at 40, 71, and 96!!  Seriously, he is proof of how exercising and eating right can affect your life.  Definitely inspires me to take care of my body!!

For more about Jack LaLanne, here is a clip from CNN:



I'm so happy he led a full life and did what he was passionate about everyday!  He is truly a role model of us all!

XOXO
Sources 1, 2,
3

20 comments:

Kelly said...

Awww, so sweet. A role model in deed!! I saw on the news that he got a lot of heat for telling "housewives" to lift weights back in the 50's and 60's. I can't believe the bit about him pulling/swimming those rowboats!! What an inspiring man!

Dee Stephens said...

I really liked him too :(

DSS said...

Well isn't that something! I recognized his face immedately (the pic from when he was 71), but didn't know any of that information about him. What an amazing guy :)

Melanie's Randomness said...

Ohh I remember hearing about him!! Ohh poor man, but WOW he lived a long life! Good for him!! R.I.P.

Melanie's Randomness

Melissa: Write it in Lipstick said...

Oh, I didnt know he passed away. That man is my father's idol. That is why my dad became a personal trainer.

Now I will remember him every time I do a jumping jack.

Bonnie said...

Oh, my gosh. My fiance Mr. A loves Jack LaLanne. It probably borders on obsession. LaLanne lived a long, healthy, amazing life. He looked great even at 96 years old!!

http://glamkittenslitterbox.blogspot.com/

julia louise said...

thanks for your sweet comment :-)
follow each other?<3

http://julia-louise.blogspot.com

the southern hostess said...

Great post! I never knew how much he did.

Faith said...

wow, that is def. proof! this makes me realize just how eating well and exercising benefits the body. i never heard about him until today but wow, he looked amazing!

Jennifer Fabulous said...

He was truly amazing. Obviously nothing but nature could beat him! I can't even imagine being that healthy though. I don't think I could live without an ice cold glass of milk, hamburgers, and anything involving sugar. Lol. I guess I wasn't meant to live until 96. ;)

Lulu said...

I was sad to hear of him passing. Sweet post dedicated to him ... he sure did look amazing didn't he?!

p.s. love the new blog layout / header change, very sweet and romantic like! :)

jamie-lee said...

wow he did not look 96! I hope I'm as fit as him in my ripe old age :)

Tamara Nicole said...

Fit at 96?! We could learn so much from his life! I hope I can live that long AND be fit:-)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

What an amazing man! He looked great for all of those ages!

Elle Sees said...

i can't believe all the stuff he invented that we still use!

Vegan Chick Pea said...

LOVE this post Jenny!

Barry said...

Thanks for posting this Jenny, I wasn't aware he had passed away. Jack was truly a great example for everyone!

Prutha said...

RIP JL

Val said...

Jack was the man!! So inspiring!! He will be missed.

Bri said...

I gave you an award on my blog!

briannesieberg.blogspot.com