Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Carrots for Cuteness! Eating Carotenoids for Beautiful Skin

Tanning beds make me feel guilty, and so I stick with the spray on kind (trust me I need a little something) but there may be a healthier alternative... carotenoids!

Apriltw_large 

We've all heard that eating lots of carrots can make your skin turn orange, but can that actually be a good thing?

According to a recent study, carrots and other veggies like tomatoes with carotenoids can make you cuter.  In the study, the polled to find out which was more attractive, a glow from a tanning bed or from carotenoids... and carotenoids won!

Tumblr_lcfuddvz7l1qel7pyo1_500_large

So I guess to get that pretty summer glow without overdosing on UV rays, eat your veggies!  You'll also be getting lots of antioxidants, which helps prevent signs of skin aging.

Tumblr_lcsa7wjeqe1qbf66ho1_500_large

XOXO

images via weheartit.com

13 comments:

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I'm going to have to eat an entire truck load of carrots while I look through the VS swim catalog this year. Haha!

Dee Stephens said...

Nice to know. I'm not going to lie -- I've frequented tanning beds in the past year due to wedding, etc. Kind of addictive.

Anna Walker said...

That's super random! :)
I do like carrots though and should eat more of them! And since I am allergic to sunless tanners, I guess I will rely on carrots for a 'healthy' glow!

http://annawalker1992.blogspot.com/

Perfect Peace said...

That is so cool! I bought carrots yesterday, so I guess I should start eating them up! Yum!

Paislea Elyse said...

that's so rad!!! i don't need much of a tan because i have red hair,,, and it could clash. but it beats the tanning beds!

allister bee blog

Faith said...

oh wow! i have to tell the hubby this! hehe.

Annie said...

hmmm...i'm going to have to start eating carrots!! ;) i miss being tan....

Kristina said...

I knew a man who really turned orange, 'cuz he was a juicer and all he drank was juiced up carrots and other veggies. He was very orange!
Kristina J.

Vegan Chick Pea said...

That's funny. :)

Perfect Peace said...

PS I added you on my "my favorite blogs" page. I hope that's okay! :)

CaSaundraLeigh said...

Unfortunately, I still do the whole tanning bed thing..I know, I know, it's bad :-/. But I have noticed when I am on a butternut squash kick I start to get an orange tint to my hands and feet. Crazy!

Jammer said...

haha this is awesome! I'm paler than casper right now so I may need to start eating carrots by the truckload!

Pop Champagne said...

HAHAHA that is funny, okay I will start to eat carrot from now on more often. Especially a few days before an important event!